Thursday, June 3, 2010

I despise Anse Bundren.

He’s not a man. He’s a weasel. I took up “As I lay dying” again and ended up disgusted with this wretch of a man. I will say that you should read this book because whenever a character can inspire such strong feelings in you it means that the book is good. By that standard, this book is superb. I won’t tell you why I hate him so you can read it yourself and come to hate him as much as I do, which I’m sure you will.


The book was also my introduction to the stream-of-consciousness style and while it’s hard to follow at times it’s also fascinating: “- My mother is a fish. Darl is my brother. Jewel’s mother is a horse. My mother is a fish.” Peppered in between are real issues that will leave you pondering, like “Is he really crazy or do we call someone crazy when he doesn’t think like everybody else?” The value of a promise, of life, material things… all are covered and played out through the almost Dantesque journey.

I strongly recommend you read this book. Besides, if you’re American, you have to. You just have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment